Thursday 18 June 2015

THE HAND LUGGAGE

I am at the Nnamdi Azikiwe international airport feeling very hot and my pores clogged with so much sweat. With the way the very high ceiling fan blades were lazily chasing each other, it was either a case of low voltage or someone didn’t think passengers needed the cool air. Of course I went with the former option, knowing my country well. Who approved for the ceiling fans to be placed so high in the first place? And why in God’s name isn’t there air conditioning in an “International Airport”, one in the capital of a country for that matter? I sighed and continued to struggle with my “hand luggage” as we queued up to have our passports checked.  Well, I am a typical Nigerian who tries to fit in 23kg if possible in a tiny hand luggage box, carry a huge sleep over bag as “handbag” and still bring a laptop bag along. The international airport officials in other countries have given up on us.
This is could be me .... ok not this bad LOL!
SOURCE- www.livehappy.com

It was obvious I was struggling with my luggage and this fine gentleman walks up beside me to help. Gladly I oblige him. He waits for me to get through immigration and after a brief chat we exchange numbers. Why not? This dude is hot plus no ring on the left hand (first thing I always check) so I am safe right?

Two months later, after I have given up on him, hot dude finally calls. He’s been “in and out of the country for some meeting…working on some project for an international airline….bla bla bla”  Ah! Correct guy. I suppose he was worth the wait.  Sorry, but some of us sisters won’t mind if the brother comes “made”….Okay… half made will do. We all want the fine things and it is not every day a girl wants to hear mother’s IT-IS-BEST-TO-BUILD-THE-WEALTH-WITH-YOUR-MAN/HUSBAND-SERMON.

“Can we have a drink sometime?” nawah o, is he asking?

“Well, it depends on when to be sure it fits into my schedule” My reply is casual. A girl cannot sound too eager or excited abi?

Say Tuesday next week, 3pm?”

“Let me see….” I pause as though I am really checking my ‘schedule’    “How about Wednesday 5:45pm?”

“That’s perfect actually. Will be at the Hilton lounge at 5:30pm, see u there”

Hilton….it even gets better!

WEDNESDAY 5:45PM….

We did a bit of chit chat about everything and nothing but I make him talk more about himself. He’s so much fun to talk to really.  Within the first 35 minutes I make two discoveries:
He is married. Very married.
He has 4 kids with his wife and they all live with him here in Abuja.

AN HOUR LATER…
“I am afraid I have to run” I mean that literally

“So soon? I thought you were enjoying my company?”

“Oh, I do not enjoy the company of married men. Especially those who do not wear their wedding bands.” I smile nicely at him.

“Errr…its not like that you know…I was thinking…” Aha! I caught him off guard. I guess I was too blunt. But mehn, who was I fooling? I am honestly tired of being nice in the face of deception.

“Thank you for the drink and please would you mind not calling my number again?” I am standing already with my arm stretched for a handshake and a plastic smile plastered on my face mostly for the benefit of those around and to save him the embarrassment.



As I drove home, all I did was wonder why most married men find it difficult to wear their wedding bands. Or was a Nigerian thing too?  I made a mental note to never carry a lot as hand luggage again. 

The NOT-SO-MADE-BROTHERS were probably best after all. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you politely blew him away! Mtchew! Am just annoyed at the way some married men behave these days...just appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha. now that i read it i can laugh. it took everything to keep my cool. And yes, some married mens' behaviour are beyond appalling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the article.. I think some men are just afraid of committment and some men were forced to marry some one their parents have chosen. In some cases men live two life styles and enjoy the best of both worlds ie loving family and home and attractive women with no strings attached. I do agree that women should take their time and if this lady hadnt taken her time and rushed into thjngs she could have wound up much more disapointed!.......SABIE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to this; and because some men feel that they can have their cake after eating it, I have become a self acclaimed Robin hoodless making it my duty to patiently though condescendingly explain to them that where most girls come from, it does not work that way. because truly, there are some single girls who do not mind dating these men and that's sad.

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...