Thursday 14 May 2015

BEFORE 30...

SOURCE: medym.weebly.com
Not sure if a lot of people are aware of the new series on Ebony Life TV called ‘BEFORE 30’.  It is quite interesting and entertaining. In summary, it mirrors the pressure society and family puts on  ladies to tie the knot before they hit the BIG 30. People, the pressure is REAL! I remember a scene where Temi’s father asked her (a 28year old successful lawyer, played by Damilola Adegbite-Atoh) if she wanted to end up like Oprah Winfery. The look on her face was epic! Here some of us are thinking of Oprah as an achiever and icon meanwhile some people regard her a ‘failure' because she hasn't traded her maiden name for a man’s. I wonder what our feminist Chimamanda Adichie will have to say about this. LOL.

I can totally relate to the story line so far because at the moment,  in fact since I was a day past 25 years old, I have literally felt people breathing down my neck. It seems as though friends, family and even enemies have a marriage related question or statement to ask/make. Even when the matter at hand is not marriage related, they all find a way to corner it there!

“Ah! My dear congrats on your graduation o! it is now remaining our asoebi o” ----An amebo  family friend
“Sweetie what’s up? Anyone yet? How far with that other Yoruba guy?” ---- A frenemy pretending to sympathise with you but making sure your train isn’t moving faster than hers.
“Kai! Nawah for men o. God will bring a good man your way u hear?” ----- A friend looking for gist
“Ehen! Am sure this one you have lost small weight they will start rushing you!” ----Some nosy aunty (what?! Seriously????)
“My dear, this material will be nice on your friends for asoebi. What do you think?” ----Mum
“Hmmmmn, you need to see the lovely coral beads I saw today. I have to go back and buy them for your wedding” ------Mum (Hello mother! There’s no man yet! Ok, she must be speaking by faith)
There’s this boy from our place I need you to meet-----Uncle (Oh please, not me! The hook up you did for our cousin was a disaster LOL)

Initially I used to laugh over these kinds of talks then I graduated to being angry. But after I realised that I was only punishing myself unnecessarily I adopted a different method – smiling outwardly and feeling indifferent inwardly. And it worked!

Like SERIOUSLY? oh please! SMH
Why does the (Nigerian) society derive joy from making a single 28 or 29 year old lady miserable and inadequate? Ok I know it has to do with our culture but things have changed in that department. Why can’t our mentality towards marriage change like technology is moving, making everything smart these days eh? Nearly every day on Instagram I read people’s comments on some single mature celebrity’s picture asking when they will get married. How rude! Myopic people who won’t mind their business! The world is changing guys. A woman’s achievement should no longer be tied to her marital status or measured by it.

Has it not occurred to these people that if most single ladies had their way they would be happily married? Has it occurred to these people that marriage isn’t for everyone? Actually some people have phobia for marriage or commitment in general (click here GAMOPHOBIA).  Some ladies (and men alike) have been through some terrible relationships that have scared them deeply that the mere thought of the opposite sex or a lifelong commitment to one puts them off. So how dare you go about “harassing and assaulting” people with your incessant questions and words simply because they are single?! There is more to life really.  

Those in Abuja say “’Abuja men’ are not serious. Most are married and all they want is a booty call when it suits them” Those in Lagos complain of same thing while those in Port Harcourt say the men do not like commitment. In fact a friend once said to me that the men consider most Port Harcourt ladies wild and unmarriageable.  Personally I can testify that the men who are willing and readily ‘available’ are the unavailable married men. They do not hide their status and have the nerve to openly ask a lady (with all her intelligence) to be his girl-friend. Why? Because he thinks he can offer much more than the single men are offering. Hmmn! So you see part of the problem? A woman won’t marry herself (in this part of the planet anyway) so understand that she is waiting patiently for the man same way you are waiting for her to share her asoebi and invitation card.

It will come. For every single lady, no matter the age, marriage will surely come if you really desire
Please where is this company? I am interested. LOL
SOURCE: livinginbelgrade.com
it. But like I always tell my friends, I am allowed to make mistakes in my choice of a man if I were between the ages of 20-24 years. Yes, I will be pardoned. But I cannot take a wrong turn or miss a step at this age. I haven’t waited this long to settle for less or live the rest of my life in a marriage I will endure. This I believe should be the watch word of any mature single lady.  Sweetie, if you are mature and still single, you are very normal and have not committed a crime or abomination. Keep telling yourself that you are waiting for the best because you deserve the very best.  Those around you will catch up someday. 

In the words of my grandma, God bless her soul, “you have a short while to be a girl and all your life to be a woman” I have modified this to “You have a short time to be single and all your life to be married”  Someone will now say I am busy consoling and deceiving myself. No I am not. What is the use worrying or killing myself over something I cannot change? That is why I have made it a point of duty to truly enjoy and savour the liberty and luxuries that comes with my singlehood; and to be happy in the short while I have. Oh yes there are luxuries!. If you have been in a shitty relationship before like me where you were taken for granted and made to eat CRAP just for the sake of being in a relationship, you will understand what I mean. These truths are bitter but someone has to say them right?


Finally, in the meantime, while we are waiting, can y’all get off our backs?! LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Reading from the first line and wishing for more... societal disorder i dare say. where married people are in bondage and yet keep asking the single ones to get in fast. There is nothing like waiting and getting it right because nobody will witness the glory in the story and the gory in it either way. So there is no option than to enjoy it meaningfully while preparing for the king or queen as the case may be. I think the society should understand too that there are more boys than men out there. -------WALE

    ReplyDelete

HOW I KICK THE PERIOD BLOAT - Useful Tips

I just want everything CARBY and SWEET!  I am almost sure I am not the only one who dreads having her period and the bloating that co...